Robertson County GIS
About Robertson County
Originally known as Tennessee County, along with Montgomery County, of the Cumberland District of North Carolina, Robertson and Montgomery Counties ceded naming rights to the new state in 1796.
Robertson County was named in honor of Gen. James Robertson, the founder of the Cumberland Settlements. The first white settlement in Robertson County was made by Thomas Kilgore in 1779 on the Red River. Kilgore’s Station became an important settlement in the migration to Tennessee.
In 1799 the first courthouse was built of hand-hewn logs, the second built of brick in 1819, and the third and present courthouse was completed in 1879.
Whiskey and Tobacco were the major industries of early Robertson County. After the Civil War, the whiskey era boomed. But then came Prohibition and the end of the Whiskey Industry. In 1993, Robertson County produced over 8 Million Pounds of Dark Fired Tobacco. We are the home of many industries and a diverse agricultural production.
Located on the northern section of Middle Tennessee, on the Highland Rim of the Cumberland Basin, Robertson County is 477-square miles. Home to 10 incorporated cities, according to the 2000 census, the County’s population stood at 54,433.
The Cities and their populations are:
- Springfield: 14,332
- White House: 7,220
- Millersville: 5,308
- Greenbrier: 4,940
- Coopertown: 3,510
- Cross Plains: 1,381
- Ridgetop: 1,083
- Orlinda: 594
- Adams: 566
- Cedar Hill: 298
For more history check out Robertson County Historical Society & Museum, 124 6th Ave. W., Springfield, Robertson County Archives, 504 S. Willow St., Springfield.
Robertson County Chamber of Commerce has data on industry and growth within the county. Reach them at (615) 384-3800 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact information for the Chamber of Commerce:
Rod Kirk, Economic Development Director; (615) 384-3800 email@example.com
Margot Fosnes, Executive Director; (615) 384-3800 firstname.lastname@example.org